What Is The Best Ergonomic Office Chair for 2023?
Ergonomic office chairs can be the ultimate answer for an ongoing problem people all over the world have to endure. If you suffer from back and neck pains, you know how debilitating it can be. The modern lifestyle took its toll on our bodies since we have to spend long hours behind office desks. Even simple tasks become difficult, and sitting on the wrong office chair for long periods can definitely hurt you in the long run.
Fortunately, when ergonomic chairs were introduced, their main purpose was to assist in providing relief. Whether you are currently facing back and neck problems or not, it is essential to find a comfortable chair that will support your spine.
The office chairs market is currently saturated with ergonomic chairs and this is why it is important to do your research to find the one that best suits your needs. This article will provide an overview of some of the best available ergonomic chairs for back and neck pains relief.
What is an ergonomic office chair?
Unlike normal office chairs, an ergonomic chair designed to provide support and comfort to the user while reducing strain on the back and neck. One of the most coveted features in ergonomic chairs is the ability to adjust it in multiple ways, so that the user can experiment until they find that sweet spot. Certain chairs allow the user to customize seat depth, back’s resistance, different angles for reclining, and many other options.
The benefits of using an ergonomic chair
Ergonomic chairs can provide many benefits for people who have to live with back and neck pains. By giving support to the spine and assisting in good posture, ergonomic chairs can help to reduce or eliminate related pains. Moreover, they play a significant role in improving circulation and reducing fatigue.
Options to look for when choosing an ergonomic chair
There are many ergonomic chairs in the market, which makes it a bit hard for the user to decide on the best option, this is why it is important to note the required features beforehand. Here are some points you should note when you go around shopping.
Against the common notion, one size does not fit all. Some office chairs might be suitable for shorter or smaller users while others are not. For instance, a Herman Miller Aeron Stool size C is considered better for larger users when compared to an Aeron Stool size B. Professional sellers would love to help you out in picking the right sized office chair when provided the required measurements, so do not hesitate to seek help if you are not sure.
Like we mentioned before, there are several adjustability options in ergonomic office chairs and it is up to you to determine what helps you best.
One option that you might find beneficial is the ability to adjust the seat’s depth and height. By being able to tune the seat, you will have multiple combinations to customize it according to your body’s shape, and thus, locating the most comfortable degree for long work sessions and maintaining a healthy posture for your spine.
As for the armrests, adjusting them vertically or horizontally allows the user to have a full control of their posture. Depending on the user’s desk, the armrests could go higher and lower accordingly. Also, since the perfect posture requires the elbows to be aligned with the shoulders, the ability to adjust the width is perfect to accommodate all types of body shapes.
Finally, reclining is a must feature in any ergonomic office chair. Finding one with a backrest that can be adjusted to different angles is important because it allows you to customize the back to the degree you require. Not to mention when it is finally the time to take your eyes off the screen, you need to recline and get some rest because you deserve it!
Some ergonomic office chairs have the luxury to mount a headrest on their back. Headrests are an advantage not too many people are aware of. Stress on the neck and back can be caused by leaning forward towards the screen or desk. This is where the headrest can do its job to support your head and remind you to keep a healthy posture while working. Also, and away from the pure health benefits, the comfortability of a well-designed headrest provides the user with the ultimate experience. It should be noted, however, that you need to choose your headrest well to avoid negative effects and voided warranties. The Herman Miller Aeron headrest and the Herman Miller Mirra 2 headrest by OfficeLogixShop for example were designed and assembled by professional engineers from the US and UK to fulfill the highest standards. What is also important is that these headrests can be mounted through a simple spring or bolt mechanism, which do not require drilling, and therefore canceling Herman Miller’s warranty.
Having lumbar support is also a nice touch to look for if you can afford it. This is because lumbar support helps to prevent and relieve back pain as well. This support can come in different ways like a built-in lumbar pillow or by purchasing a separate adjustable lumbar support. While a lumbar support is not an essential feature in an ergonomic office chair, it is always a welcomed addition for many people.
The best ergonomic office chairs
- Herman Miller Embody is one of the best ergonomic chairs on the market, and for good reason. Some of the amazing features this office chair can offer is how the backrest and seat automatically conform to your body’s micro-movements. It also provides consistent ergonomic support in both forward and reclined positions. The back itself is specifically intended to maintain an ideal posture thanks to its brilliant design to mimic the spine’s curve. Last but not least, the built-in tilts to control the tension makes it perfect to find the desired and most comfortable spot.
- Herman Miller Aeron Classic or Aeron Remastered are all-time favorites for many users. The classic and Remastered versions are arguably the most talked about office chairs in the market. It is almost impossible to find someone who has a basic knowledge of ergonomic office chairs without knowing the Aerons. The classic version’s seat back and bottom cushion are made of Herman Miller’s innovative Pellicle suspension mesh, which allows for both support and breathability in the same seat, while the PostureFit SL back support ensures proper body positioning: chest open, shoulders back, pelvis and lower back at the optimal angle to reduce strain. Along with every feature expected from an ergonomic chair, it also features a tilt Limiter with seat angle/forward tilt, in addition to fully adjustable arms (depth, height, and pivot). The Remastered version combines all the good features in the previous entry with more sustainability, all based on the customers' feedback and professional designers at Herman Miller.
- Steelcase Gesture Steelcase is a prominent name in the office furniture world. Any office furniture expert will easily include several products from Steelcase when asked about the best office chairs in the market. With an experience that dates back to 1912, this US based company has certainly provided our offices, and lately our home offices, with many solid options to choose from. The Gesture’s armrests are considered to be one of the most versatile amongst other ergonomic models. One push of a button elevates the arms vertically to suit users of all heights. In addition to the vertical movement, the entire arm at the joint swings horizontally as well, leaving enough room for all sizes. There are two knobs on the right of the seat that allow you to control both the back and seat. Smart enough, the back handle controls the back and the front handle controls the seat so you will not fiddle around every time you want to adjust something. As for the chair’s back, it has many options for the preferred posture, which allow the user to control the resistance. Moreover, if you want the back to support you while doing some work, you can set it to an upright lock or it can go into an adjustable recline mode, where you select how much it can go back, and thus, multiple backstops.
- Steelcase Leap V2 is another great product by Steelcase. Its breathability is perfect for warm and enclosed spaces to avoid sweating and overheating. One unique feature is the Air LiveBack technology, which is a patent technology exclusive to Steelcase to provide an optimal support to the spine through responding to the user’s movements. As for the seat, the Leap V2’s is considered one of the best to alleviate the pressure on the legs thanks to its brilliant design and adjustable depth. The armrests on this one is what you are looking for in an ergonomic chair since they are completely adjustable in terms of altering the height, the ability to move forward and backward, and smart pivoting Overall, this chair is perfect for those who like to move around in their seats and want to keep the chair’s support.
- Herman Miller Mirra 1 or Mirra 2 are great choices for those who want an ergonomic chair that looks as good as it feels. They feature a sleek design and a number of adjustable features to ensure you're comfortable. The Herman Miller’s signature customizability continues with the Mirras from adjustable Arms, flex front, to a tilt limiter. Both versions are excellent, but like any upgraded product, Herman Miller took the best features in Mirra 1 and tweaked them in the Mirra 2. For instance, the 4D armrests in Mirra 2 is far more adjustable and contain more functionalities. Some users of both versions reported that the newer edition is more comfortable for long sessions. One Reddit user described the difference as “If I describe it as (a) car, Mirra 1 is (an) old sedan car which is very comfortable but heavy, Mirra 2 is Europe(an) hatchback new model car”.
Ergonomic office chairs are the current trend that everyone is getting behind. It has been proven that they are here to stay due to their particular features to help users in maintaining a healthy posture as well as reducing associated back and neck pains. The market is full of ergonomic office chairs that fulfill different needs, and while the onus is on the user to determine their specific requirements for the best experience, many companies such as OfficeLogixShop are more than delighted to help you in accurately pinpointing the best chair according to your size, physical disadvantages, and sought-after options. Please do not hesitate to contact us anytime!